Sooner or later, things will return to normal. We can all put 2020 behind us and start moving forward. Here’s a look at what’s going to be trending in 2021, according to NACS. Retailers have rolled out new technologies to keep up with shoppers’ needs.
- Brands are combining forces. Headspace partners with Spotify, Alo and Tatcha paired up with Animal crossing, so don’t be surprised if you see more partnerships forming in 2021.
- Get onboard with livestreaming. Livestream-generated sales are expected to reach $120 billion, according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
- Robots are delivering things. Don’t pick them up if you see them, and don’t try to stop them because they’ll set off an alarm. All funniness aside, these delivery robots are the way of the future. A lot of experimentation still needs to be done before these are widely adapted. A few major retailers already have things in the works: Walmart is trialing with driverless cars and Walgreens is testing drone deliveries.
- Social Media potential has exploded. Retailers are expanding their shopping experience to social media platforms, and this trend is here to stay. What’s the secret? Well, there’s a lot to it, but it creates feelings of uniqueness and that “I have to have that!” reaction that retailers want from their customers. Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, TikTok, Pinterest, and Spotify are leading the way with this trend.
- Paying for a purchase upfront is out the door. Many retailers are offering payment options now. Shoppers can pay $x/month for a designer sofa, or if they choose, they can pay outright. Either way, shoppers have options now. Something else to be on the lookout for, trade-ins are becoming a thing.
If there was one thing that we got from 2020, it’s that there was a huge shift from in-person shopping to online shopping. We can’t stress enough how important it is to keep your store’s e-commerce site updated during these times for this very reason. And now that we’ve all taken this advice and gotten our websites updated, we cannot just sit back and relax. The future is calling and full of new and exciting things that will make us all feel like we have to go back to school to learn how to master. Don’t worry we’re right there with you.